'Stay in Bed' Eggy Bread with Poached Cinnamon Apples
Eggy bread is still a staple breakfast option for lazy Sunday brunches. I remember making it as a child and from all of the amazing photographs on Instagram and Pinterest that I've seen, it seems that Eggy Bread is still a popular choice in the kitchen today. You can make them savoury or sweet, but this time I decided to use spiced cinnamon apples and some more of the raspberry coulis that we have. For other ideas, you can use icing sugar, fruits, cheese, ham, strawberries, chocolate spread, whatever tickles your fancy!
2 Freshly Washed Apples chopped into triangle slices
2 or 3 slices of wholemeal, white or brioche bread
two tablespoons of milk
1. Preheat the oven to 200c and chop the two apples into triangle slices and place in a bowl
2. Drizzle some honey and sprinkle some cinnamon over the apples and mix.
3. Place the apples in a frying pan without any butter or oil and cook with a lid on a low heat for about 25 minutes.
4. Whilst the apples are cooking, crack 2 eggs into a bowl and whisk with the 2 tablespoons of milk using a fork.
5. Then pour the egg mix onto a plate (one with turned up edges is always better if possible to stop the egg running off the plate).
6. Once the apples are cooked, place a slice of bread down into the egg and then turn over onto the other side so it's covered well.
7. Place the bread into a pan on medium heat with some butter and cook on each side. Do this with the other slices of bread.
8. Once the eggy bread is cooked, cover it in your apple pieces or your chosen topping and you're done!